- Top 10 Celebrity Body Secrets Revealed!Posted 5 days ago
- What’s In Her Closet ‘Summer Fashion’Posted 7 days ago
- Victoria’s Secret Height Discrimination and Body Stereotypes Live OnPosted 2 weeks ago
- Bella Petite Magazine CovergirlsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Top 10 Design Trends People Want To Have In a HomePosted 2 weeks ago
- Bella Petite Magazine Editor and Lifestyle Expert Ann Lauren on Real EstatePosted 2 weeks ago
- Wine, Dine & Art It’s All in The MindPosted 3 weeks ago
- A World Exclusive Featuring ‘After Romeo’Posted 3 weeks ago
- ‘Glam Punk Rock’ Fashion EditorialPosted 3 weeks ago
- A GUIDELINE FOR GREAT FITTING JEANSPosted 3 weeks ago
Work Place Age Discrimination By: Elizabeth Lions [Career Coach] [Job Hunting]
Bella Petite would like to welcome newly contributing writer Elizabeth Lions!
AGE DISCRIMINATION: There is the age old question about age discrimination. Am I not getting the job because I’m too old?
Age is a concept.
Age and how you look have nothing to do with being old. People that describe others as old are really saying that:
1. The person has low energy.
2. The person is unwilling to learn or try new thing
3. The person is stuck in the past.
It seems to me that your entire life you are either too old or too young. Think about that statement before you scoff. In your twenties, you are deemed as a ‘kid’ and ‘know nothing’.
By 30, you are taken more seriously and as an ‘adult’. Student loans pile up, expecting you to use what you learned in college and apply that to your career. You wake up in the morning under the illusion, thinking that you actually have a career, instead of a job.
By 40, you know what you know. You are hired into management positions. For some, the ego is in high gear as you conquer the world, slaying dragons in the office and fighting the good fight. For working women, work life balance is a struggle with kids, spouses and work.
By 50 something happens. We doubt who we are.
My response to the age old question about age discrimination is simply this: what you think about, you bring about. Believing that you have been the victim of age discrimination may very well be a concept in your mind and not a reality in the market place, and I’ll tell you why.
At 40 you are not competing for the 25 year olds job. Jobs are based on budget and salary. Salary will always equate to skill.
By 40, you should be looking at leadership positions with manager titles. You are no longer an individual contributor, but are responsible for the entire project with timelines and people to execute.
Thinking you are too old – or even too young is a way of holding onto every false belief you’ve ever had about yourself.
Furthermore, keeping these beliefs will not serve you in finding – or keeping your job!
Listen to the Bella Petite Hour and find out how to “Recession Proof Yourself” with best selling author Elizabeth Lions. She will give you ten ways to make it through today’s tough economy and strategies on how to find a job! Plus, a OneModelPlace career building success story with actress and model Marissa St. Croix.
You must subscribe to enter. FREE subscription to Bella Petite Magazine
Bella Petite Magazine is Fashion, Entertainment and LifeStyle for Women 5’5″ Tall & under. Petite is fit and full figured. The Bella Petite Magazine preview issue is coming soon!