10 Spring Petite Fashion Trends [petite clothes] [petite women]
Tune into the Bella Petite Hour on Spring Fashions Trends with Ginger and Ann! Podcast now playing.
Michael Kors trotted out fuschia and green, Rebecca Taylor favored orange, and Cynthia Rowley went for yellow. (Gray is the new neutral standard and continues into Fall). White is the color that’s not a color!
Minimalist white was all over the runways, so if you are a color phobe rather than a color freak, then you can be in sync by wearing white from head to toe. Brightly colored accessories are a season GET: handbags, scarves, belts jewelry!
Practical? Probably not. Beautiful? Most Definitely. You can always check with the color site Pantone for updates on the current colors and next season’s colors. They are the leading authority.
THE PRIMARY “LOOK” FEATURED IN EVERY SPRING COLLECTION
2. SHORTS. Everyone, and I mean everyone, showed shorts in their Spring Collections. Whether short and roomy at Badgley Mishka, or long and blousy at Thakoon, capri length at Ralph Lauren, and lace shorts at Hillfiger. Shorts are the “GET” for Spring; shorts are todays mini-skirt!
SPRING FABRIC PATTERN STYLES
3. Print madness and prints charming! Spring is traditionally all about florals and fruit. Jason Wu’s breezy bloused had cut out posies. DKNY had tiny flower prints on very compelling youthful dresses. Vivienne Tam, known for inspirational prints, wowed with pattern plays sheer prints. We see watercolor blooms, and more pattern plays at Christian Dior, Louis Vuitton, DKNY, MIU MIU.
THE BIG FASHION CHANGEOVER FOR SKIRTS, PANTS AND SHORTS
4. High waisted skirts, pants and shorts-Derek Lam’s denim jeans with a skinny belt. Gray, white and black trousers by Bagley Mischka. Marc Jocobs’ had pink silk versions. This is another trend that goes right into Fall. Here’s the end of low-waisted skinny jeans for now.
The sad news is that majority of petite women around the world will not be able to look great in this “BIG” fashion changeover trend for pants, shorts and skirts, unless they are absolutely scaled correctly.
The good news is skirts and pants can be especially figure flattering in the high-waisted style in the right length and cut. If you can find the right designer fit this will look fabulous on your petite frame and elongate your line of sight making the most of your height!
Be sure not to throw out your low-waisted goodies, as we all know it’s not always the best idea to participate in every seasons new trends, because that could lead your next fashion disaster!
THE LATEST ERA STYLE INFLUENCE
5.Bohemian staples (Hippie chic) like peasant blouses, floor grazing skirts, wide leg trousers (very 70’s—Think Ali McGraw in Love Story.)
This is the new bohemia:
Marc Jacobs led the way with brightly colored full length halter dresses, and Ferragamo and Fendi jumped on this retro bandwagon as well! This is the becoming the era where we see jumpsuits and macrame and crochet feeling fresh again.
THE LATEST SPRING SHOE FASHION
6. Sandals and, 6-inchPlatform’s (again 70’s inspired). Platforms are featured with wide-leg pants, as well as bell-bottoms, and maxi-dresses. Sandals look spectacular with jump-suits and short-suits. Gladiators showed up but look tired and out-of-style!
THE LATEST SPRING SUIT TRENDS
7. Pant-suits & Short-suits: Marc Jacobs showed brightly colored pantsuits. Dare I say bell bottoms on the pants? Much of this gets down to business in modern mono-chromatics… (grays) which is fantastic news for petites; we also saw futuristic cuts at Gareth Pugh, and more fluid shapes at Bottega, Hermes and Lanvan.
THE LATEST SPRING FABRIC TRENDS
8. Sheer Bliss & Lazer cut fabrics—Laser cut pieces have become, so intricate that they look like lace. Marchesa showed a delicate laser cut cocktail dress that somehow had the strength to be three dimensional. The cuts on a Suno dress was, so extensive we wondered how it held up at all. Designers played peek-a-boo this spring by layering transparent separates over solid underpinnings, with various levels of modesty.
SPRING’S FASHION GETS
9. The Little White Dress (LWD), 70’s glamour! It’s the lace race. In lace, lazer cut, and asymetrical styles. It’s fresh…at Ralph Lauren, Richard Nicholl & Dolce and Gabbana. Many made of these laces never were found in your grandmothers trousseau.
Asymetrical dresses and blouses are the perfect cut for petites!
10. Asymetrical dresses and blouses for the right angles. Asymetrical works in solids and mixed mini-prints. Vivienne Tam had incredible aysemetrical sheers in dresses, maxi-dresses and blouses. It’s that element of interest that can maximize your assets, and lends a very sleek look to even the simplest fabrication.
Check out this seasons “Gets” on petite celebrities 5’3″ Brittany Snow and 5’0″ Vanessa Hudgens.
Red Carpet Fever at eDressMe.com Gowns inspired by your favorite Hollywood celebrities
Article Contributors: Ginger Puglia and Ann Lauren
You must subscribe to enter FREE.
Bella Petite Magazine is Fashion, Entertainment and LifeStyle for Women 5’5″ Tall & under. Petite is fit and full figured. The Bella Petite Magazine preview issue is coming soon!